Want Me To Contact You?
Christopher (Kit) McIlroy
2309 W. Sumaya Pl., Tucson, AZ 85741
BA, Pomona College, Creative Writing, 1972
MFA, Fiction Writing, University of Arizona, 1983
- Tohono O’odham Community of Practice, 2013-2014
- I manage the professional development program for Early Childhood educators.
Tucson Unified School District
- Instructor, TUSD Family Resources. “Writing, a Life Skill,” 2020-2022
- Baboquivari USD #40, 2009-2012
Instructor and administrator
- ArtsReach, 1987-2010: I taught in schools serving Native American communities; coordinated programs, instructors, and outreach; organized community readings; conducted teacher training; and oversaw production of an annual anthology.
- Family Writing Workshops, 1999-present: For students and parents of the Pascua Yaqui Tribe, Tohono O’odham Nation, Tohono O’odham Health Department Division of Special Needs, Tucson Unified School District, and the Indian Oasis-Baboquivari School District.
- I presented creative writing residencies across Arizona.
- I have conducted writing process training sessions for Head Start programs in Tucson, AZ (Child-Parent Centers), Parker, AZ (Colorado River Indian Tribes), Peach Springs, AZ (Hualapai), and Tohono O’odham Nation.
- Tohono O’odham Community College, 2015
- Prescott College, 2013-Present
- Pima Community College, 2010-2011
- Warren Wilson College MFA Program in Creative Writing, 2005, 2001, 1999 and 1996
- Fiction Writing, University of Arizona, 1999
TA and Adjunct Faculty
- University of Arizona, 1981-94, 1998: I taught undergraduate fiction and composition writing.
- Fiction Writing,University of Arizona Extended University, 1996-98
- Fiction Writing, Tucson Public Library Writers’ Project, 1987-95
- American Indian Language Development Institute, 1989: I co-taught a course in teaching creative writing.
- Writing Skills Improvement Program, University of Arizona, 1983-84
- Freshman composition, Arizona State Prison’s Wilmot Unit, 1983
- Indian Education Unit, 1991-94: I conducted teacher training in six Native American Communities in Arizona.
- Indian Education Unit, 1990: I completed a grant project aimed at instituting Native American Studies at Arizona State University.
- At The Ready Magazine, 2013-2014
- UNEQ Consulting for unmanned systems, 2012-2013
- Associated Writing Programs (AWP) Conference, 2010
Plenary Session & Technical Sessions
- Region IX Tribal Child Care Conference, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2004
- Arizona Department of Education Adult Education State Conference, 2004
- Arizona Reading Association, 2003
“For more than twenty years, Kit McIlroy and ArtsReach have been within the Indigenous voice of the Tohono O’odham and Yaqui languages in the desert region of Tucson in Southern Arizona…Put into written form by Tohono O’odham and Yaqui tribal youth, this literary anthology is composed of poems, stories, anecdotes and narrative tellings…And now resulting in Here I Am A Writer, a moving, powerful voice that evolves from the dynamic traditions of ongoing Indigenous languages that are always in creative flux. Highly recommended!”